_____________________________________________

_____________________________________________

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Three Rounds



Today we are going three rounds with a few of the Carolina's top MMA fighters, Jacob Whitfield, Brandon Garner and Tomar Washington, and local favorite, StrikeForce Middle Weight contender, Tim Kennedy.

Round One: What is your take on the current Carolina Mixed Martial Arts scene?

Round Two:
How do you feel about knees to a downed opponent?

Round Three: What are your long term MMA goals?


Here are the results of our three rounds with...



Tim Kennedy is a veteran fighter, both as an Army Soldier, and in MMA. Tim was one of the top ranked Middle Weights in the IFL and is currently a top Middle Weight contender for StrikeForce. With a record of 11-2, Tim is climbing up the Middle Weight rankings. While he is making his name on the National level, many of his friends and team mates are making waves in the local Carolina MMA promotions.

R1: I'm amazed and proud to see how far MMA has come in North Carolina. I hope that the sport will continue to grow there. There are some very talented fighters out of the state, that have and will continue to make it on the big stages.

R2: I'm not against knees to the head on the ground. I have fought a few fights where that was legal, and I enjoyed the fight. I'm actually against elbows on the ground. I think they cause too many cuts, and end what could be exciting fights prematurely.

R3: I'm going to continue to fight for the next couple years. I plan on having the StrikeForce middle weight title in the next couple of fights. My next fight will be on Showtime on June 16. It should be a good one.

(Check out Tim Kennedy in EA Sports upcoming MMA video game)



Jacob Whitfield is the current CFP Welter Weight Champion who went undefeated as an amateur(6-0) and has a professional record of 3-1. He was a NAGA World Champion in 2003 and holds a jiu-jitsu brown belt under Royce Gracie and black belts in American Karate and American Kickboxing. He also instructs at his school, Triangle Jiu-Jitsu, in Goldsboro,NC.

R1: I feel like the current Carolina MMA scene reflects the nationwide MMA scene. The level and number of athletes competing is improving but their technical skills are going down. I think lots of people are rushing to fight too soon. In particular I think people are trying to turn pro too quickly without enough experience as an amateur.

R2: In terms of knees, I think that for professionals, knees and kicks should be allowed at all times. I think that it is a fighter's responsibility to escape dangerous positions and that if a fighter is willing to sit in the turtle, the top person should be allowed to knee or soccer kick them. For amateurs I like the rules with no elbows or knees but I would like to see kicks to the head for amateurs.

R3: My ultimate goal in terms of MMA is to win fights. I don't fight for fame or for fortune. I fight because I love the sport. I want to test myself and I want to learn. I want my school to grow and I want to be able to help my students. I doubt I will ever fight in the UFC simply because I don't have the right look, personality, or style but I refuse to compromise on those things just to try to get in a big show. I'm going to retire when I'm 30 and if I fight 3 to 4 times per year between now and then it will put me at 20-1 as a professional and I can retire and be happy with that.




Brandon Garner is the Current CFP Bantam Weight Champion with a professional record of 7-1-1. He appeared on The Ultimate Fighter season 8 before leaving due to an unfortunate DQ in the opening round of fights. Brandon is a brown belt in Jiu-Jitsu under Royce Gracie and is involved with teaching combatives to soldiers at Fort Bragg with Team R.O.C.


R1: I think the Carolina scene is growing quickly. There aren't many Pro fighters in NC but the amateur scene is promising. As far as the promotions go, CFP is first class for sure. I'm lucky to be able to fight for a local organization that has such a high level of production quality and fills the seats every fight.

R2: I would like to see knees added. I think it is important to keep fights as realistic as possible. If there are too many rules then training becomes focused on winning based on those rules instead of training for all possible attacks. I would like to think that all my training can transfer to a real world situation.

R3: My long term goal is to constantly evolve as a fighter and to be a complete fighter. I want to be a fighter who can finish fights quickly but also has the gameness to win wars as well.

Brandon would like to thank Cageside, Team ROC and CFP for helping him pursue his dream.




Tomar "T-Bo" Washington fights out of Myrtle Beach, SC and is sporting an undefeated record. T-Bo is one of the most entertaining fighters in the Carolina MMA scene and a has very colorful personality to go along with his skills. He trains with his team at Fitness Edge World Team and is game for any kind of fight given to him.

R1: Most people didn't expect us to get to where we got so soon. They(National scene) were only letting a few fighters in at a time. Then after they saw what we were capable of and how hard we trained, they like what we can do now.

R2: I respect the safety issues, but if someone is going to knee you there they are going to do it. That's why you keep your hands up. I just fought in a Vale Tudo match and they don't care where they knee you.

R3: To be honest, I have a long way to go. A lot of people don't know, but I just did a tryout for the UFC and did real good. I was in the top 7 fighters at that tryout and got through the interview. I fought really good at Heavy Weight and Light Heavy Weight. I am trying to get down to 185 now and try the Middle Weight. At the tryouts, that is what Dana White said I should do. I am in talks with CFP (Carolina Fight Promotions) about a contract for 5 or 6 fights, but it depends on how the UFC thing goes.

(Check back for an in depth One on One with Tomar.)


The BlooodyKnux.com family would like to thank all the fighters for taking the time to share with us, and all of the promoters and sponsors who are helping this sport grow in the Carolinas, and all over the World.

Join us for discussions and news on the local Carolina MMA scene at our new local forums!